GUIDED INDEPENDENT STUDY PROGRAM
Guided independent study is a proven approach to learning often compared to the college model because students complete most of their schoolwork outside the traditional classroom setting. This approach requires students to be responsible, self-reliant, self-disciplined, and accountable to their teachers and themselves. Our program offers flexibility and independence while simultaneously ensuring regular one-on-one contact with Options for Youth's highly qualified instructors who teach, monitor progress, assign homework, and administer weekly tests and quizzes. Options for Youth students are required to pass all necessary state coursework and exams.
THE HALLMARKS OF OUR PROGRAM ARE:
(1) Student Commitment - Students attend our school by choice and must sign a contract stating their commitment to earn a high school diploma by voluntarily adhering to our enrollment requirements: attendance, work production, test performance, and graduation.
(2) Guided Individual Instruction - Students receive personalized attention from qualified teachers who care about them and their success.
(3) Small Group Instruction - Students can take advantage of tutorials and small group instruction with a credentialed teacher when additional support is needed.
(4) Flexible and Self-Paced - Students work independently and at a pace tailored to each individual's ability and learning level, as teachers keep them on track to graduate in an appropriate time period.
(5) Open Enrollment - This is a year-round program where students can enroll on any day that school is in session.
(6) Continuous Learning - Our schools are open 12 months a year. This means more time spent learning with minimal interruptions.
(7) Subject Matter Focused - Our curriculum is assigned based on a student's ability and is paced at one to three subjects at a time, helping students be in control and stay focused, and encouraging them to gain self-confidence.
(8) Accountability - Our students are tested and monitored on a regular basis to ensure progress in meeting required State of California standards. All students are required to pass the California High School Exit Exam and to participate in all other state mandated testing.
Options for Youth accepts any student who:
(1) is age 12 to 19 and is at the 7th to 12th grade level*;
(2) reads at a 6th grade level or above;
(3) is not enrolled in another diploma program; and
(4) resides within the county of the chartering school district or one of its contiguous counties.
*Options for Youth will continue to serve students 20 years of age or older who are currently enrolled in the program, have been continuously enrolled since the age of 19, and are making satisfactory progress (4 credits per month). If on or after the 20th birthday, a student fails to make satisfactory progress in any given month, discontinues enrollment for any reason, or turns 23 years of age, student's enrollment will be terminated with no option to return.